Smith Mountain Facebook Twitter

Aquatic Vegetation

Frequently Asked Questions

It appears that aquatic vegetation is growing near my dock. May I remove it and if so, what is the best method of doing so?

To identify the type of aquatic vegetation growing near your dock, you can contact the Smith Mountain Lake Association (SMLA) at 540-719-0690. The SMLA has a group of volunteers trained in identifying aquatic vegetation and will visit your property to determine the type of species. If the vegetation is identified as being invasive, it may be reported to the Tri County Lake Administrative Commission (TLAC) at 540-721-4400. TLAC has a treatment program and may be able to treat the vegetation.

May I treat the aquatic vegetation with round-up © or some other chemical?

No. Property owners are prohibited from doing their own treatments by state regulations. Chemical applicators must be licensed by the state. Should property owners be interested in hiring a licensed applicator, applications to treat aquatic vegetation can be found under forms.

I have a nice stand of native vegetation growing near my shoreline. Should I allow it to continue to grow?

Absolutely! Native vegetation such as water willow is an attribute to the lake and is enjoyed by largemouth bass and other types of fish as well. Property owners are encouraged to plant native vegetation e.g. button bush and water willow along their shorelines to enjoy the diverse attributes of lake living.

May my contractor treat non-native invasive vegetation after June 15?

Yes! Mid- March through mid-June is the Smith Mountain Project's fish spawning season and as such, treatment is not allowed during this time period. After June 15, treatment is acceptable provided a permit is obtained.

I received my permit but my contractor is not available to do the work for 4 months. Will my permit still be valid?

Permits are valid for a period of 3 months. If the contractor is not available within that time frame, please contact Appalachian to extend the permit.

What can I do to prevent the spread of non-native invasive vegetation?

For additional information, please visit: