Report a Violation
Learn what's required and contact us to report it if you suspect a violation of the Shoreline Management Plan.
Contacting Appalachian Power
Need to report a suspected violation of the Shoreline Management Plan? Contact us.
Individuals reporting suspected violations, at a minimum, should include the following required information:
- Description of facility/structure/activity
- Location (e.g. street address or legal description or tax map number and county)
- Description of suspected violation
- Any other pertinent information
- If you would like to be contacted concerning your report, please provide your contact information
Investigation and Follow Up
Appalachian Power will take the following actions to follow-up on reports of suspected violations:
- If Appalachian Power determines the violation is brought into compliance as required, they will update records accordingly. If requested, and contact information has been provided, individuals who reported the suspected violation will be notified.
- If Appalachian Power determines the violation is not brought into compliance, they will take any lawful action necessary to correct the violation. This includes, but is not limited to, canceling the permission to use and occupy the project lands and waters and removing any non-complying structures.
- After a non-compliance issue has been resolved, Appalachian Power will update its records accordingly. If requested, and contact information has been provided, individuals who reported the suspected violation will be notified.
The final decision of the above described investigation will be conveyed by Shoreline Management staff. If there is any disagreement with the decisions made, then the Plant Manager Hydro may be contacted:
Plant Manager Hydro
Appalachian Power Company
P.O. Box 2021
Roanoke, VA 24022
If there is still a disagreement following contact with the Plant Manager Hydro, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission may be contacted:
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
888 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20426
Appalachian Power is not able to discuss the specifics of any investigation with parties other than the property owner involved directly in the violation. However, Appalachian Power can advise outside parties about the status of the investigation.